Wednesday, January 15, 2014

A 10mm Elf Building Made From a Tropicana Orange Juice Lid

   Ok, to begin with, let me say I am not a big orange juice drinker. So, it came as a surprise to me when I was browsing the drink aisle at a convenience store while travelling over the holidays, that Tropicana had these cool arched design lids on their drinks. When I saw it, it immediately said Elvish architecture to me; and was a perfect size to go with my 10mm Fantasy minis.  So, I bought one to bring home and work on, and I finally completed it this past week.
The main problem I saw with the lid was that it has the name "Tropicana" embossed on the top.   So, to hide it, I glued a large 1.5 inch plastic base over it. A 2" one may have been better, as the size I used didn't quite fully cover the embossing, but I didn't have a spare 2" one on hand.  And the 1.5 inch gives a nice stepped look.
I first sprayed it with Krylon Flat Black with Fusion to act as a primer.
And then I gave it a spray with Krylon Flat White.
I then painted it white again, with regular bottle acrylic paint, to help hide the black undercoat, and added some blue trim.  Lastly I painted on a door and added some paper windows I printed out with the computer.
The finished building shown with some 10mm Elves for scale.
  The bottle and lid I got were the 12 oz size.  I since noticed in the grocery store that a large lid come on their large juice bottles.  While it is slightly larger in diameter, it is actually about s millimeter shorter in height.  It might make a nice large version of the building, or a neat two story structure.


4 comments:

  1. Awesome!

    I've been eyeing those lids for a while; much better than I could do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It was really an easy project, you should give it a try.

      Delete
  2. I found another brand of orange juice that makes a slightly different (and not quite as nice) lid as well. I have it glues together as the second story of one of the Tropicana ones to make something that looks a little like a Coliseum.

    Buck

    ReplyDelete